On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:09:38 -0600
Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dan Farrell wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:12:17 -0600
> > Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> Ooops, I have IDE and the drive I just sent a email about is a
> >> SATA. It won't work anyway.  Do they have IDE drives like this?
> >>

> > Yeah, I'm sure they do.  You could also buy a controller for $20 -
> > i am happy with my Silicon Image SATA controller, and I have
> > another SI ide controller that has been working well for years.
> > for example,
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132007 has
> > 1 internal, 1 external sata port; they also come with 2 internals,
> > or more, of course.
> >

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-)  :-)  :-)
> >>

> Hmmm, the last time I looked for a SATA controller it was expensive.
> I guess the price came down a lot since I looked last.  I assume it
> would be faster than my IDE drives too?  That would be nice.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

If you get a newer model, it will be faster.  From my tests, the
difference between SATA and IDE is not very large if its the same hard
drive model.  In other words, I think newer drives are going to go
faster than older drives regardless of the bus arch.

nevertheless I went with sata myself, even though I had to buy a card,
because I wanted to start going in that direction.  I want that drive
to be around a while and at the speed technology goes, i think SATA is
a good way to make sure I'll still be able to talk to it when the
warranty expires.