Hello,

I'm trying to set up a printer using CUPS.  I have worked my way
through the printing guide but cannot get a test page to print from
the printers tab of the cups configuration page.  I turned up the
logging level to debug2 and am seeing this in the logs:

d [07/Dec/2007:16:00:26 -03-30] cupsdIsAuthorized: auth=AUTH_DENY...
d [07/Dec/2007:16:00:26 -03-30] cupsdReadClient: Unauthorized request for
/ipp/...

One thing I noticed in the setup that is different from the guide is
that the option to listen to "Parallel Port #1" is never offered
although it should be the most appropriate option given that the
printer is on lpt1.  I have tried both the ipp and lpd devices to no
avail.

dmesg | grep -i print returns:
parport0: Printer, Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5L

This is the emerge information:

[ebuild   R   ] net-print/cups-1.2.12-r2  USE="X dbus jpeg ldap pam
png ppds ssl tiff -nls -php -samba -slp"

Thanks for any help.

Roger