I have installed two or three times, deleted /etc/cups and reinstalled
the printer.  It showed up as an HPLIP device when installing, w/ CUPS
and/or the kde printer utility.   NOtably the utility OR the
localhost:631 interface did not show any option for a USB printer.
The address that ended up being used was a usb:<printername>.  When I
get gentoo booted up I'll look at it again.  For now, I have to print,
so I've installed Ubuntu on another partition.  Printing works fine
there, so that's a start.

Thank you,

Alan

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
       ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man