On Saturday 15 December 2007, Randy Barlow wrote:

> One of the challenging things about the BackupPC ebuild is that the
> program needs to be configured to work with its own instance of apache
> (run as user backuppc), and I think none of the ebuild contributors
> are all too sure of the standard "Gentoo" way of doing this.  I'd be
> happy to try and make an ebuild that is a good compromise of the ideas
> listed in the bug.

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned)
Another (maybe less intrusive, although slightly less efficient) option
is to install the BackupPC_Admin CGI as setuid so that it runs as user
backuppc (this is how I run BackupPC-2.1.2-r1). This does not require a
different instance of apache, nor it requires to use mod_perl. It does,
however, require USE=perlsuid, but this is already supported by gentoo.