On Dec 20, 2007 10:31 PM, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unlike commonly perceived wisdom I don't think that LVM is a panacea for all
> ills, or a necessity as such.  It is however bloody convenient, especially on
> a growing fs.  A server that is not expected to change much in size, probably
> does not need it.  On the other hand some servers (file, mail, news servers)
> are bound to continue to accumulate data and their fs will increase in time.
> I would argue that the former type of server can happily live in a few primary
> partitions + 1 extended with a number of logical partitions, if you are going
> for a multi-partitioned scheme, while the latter type of server will greatly
> benefit from LVM.  Of course, if hard drive redundancy is necessary, then I
> can't see how you could live without LVM + RAID.

I understand you on "LVM is not a must for very stable servers", but
since I can't see any good reason not to use LVM,  I see no reason to
limit your abilities to extended partitions. We have the opportunity
to be more flexible with LVM, why should we not get it ? To loose the
ability to extend a partition by adding a new HD without any pain ? I
mean, if you don't know how to use it, I understand that you may skip
installing a LVM system, but when you did it once, I see no reason to
install your new systems without. So, I am interested in your advice
about LVM is not the universal solution for partitions management,
since I am sure I have something to learn from you experience.

Gal'