On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 10:48 +0000, Mick wrote:
> Happy New Year to all!
>
> I find my self in a bit of a pickle after a recent emerge.  When I
> enter my username+passwd at the xdm login screen it sort of tries to
> load up fluxbox, but within a second or so it returns to the login
> screen. I can't see anything worth mentioning in the logs. I have
> downgraded baselayout, sysvinit and freetype but the problem remains.
> Any ideas? These are the packages emerged recently:

[snip]

> I don't have a problem login in at the console, so this must be
> xdm/Xorg related I guess.  As this is the laptop that I take to work
> and my holidays end today all suggestions are welcomed!  :)

This happens to me when one of my services has errors, or fails to
start.  Look for any [ !! ] or other messages on vt1.  btw, this assumes
you can switch back to X ok (ctrl-alt-f7 usually)?

HTH,

You know you're using the computer too much when:
you look out of the bus/car window on the way to work and think "hey, these
graphics are pretty cool"