On 01/01/2008, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 10:48 +0000, Mick wrote:
> > Happy New Year to all!
> >
> > I find my self in a bit of a pickle after a recent emerge.  When I
> > enter my username+passwd at the xdm login screen it sort of tries to
> > load up fluxbox, but within a second or so it returns to the login
> > screen. I can't see anything worth mentioning in the logs. I have
> > downgraded baselayout, sysvinit and freetype but the problem remains.
> > Any ideas? These are the packages emerged recently:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I don't have a problem login in at the console, so this must be
> > xdm/Xorg related I guess.  As this is the laptop that I take to work
> > and my holidays end today all suggestions are welcomed!  :)
>
> This happens to me when one of my services has errors, or fails to
> start.  Look for any [ !! ] or other messages on vt1.  btw, this assumes
> you can switch back to X ok (ctrl-alt-f7 usually)?

Thanks Iain,

On my machines if a service fails to start it returns me to vt1, but I
am still able to load xorg and login fine after I switch to vt7.  I
didn't notice something amiss with the vt1 boot messages.

What else I could try? I guess downgrading all the packages of the
last emerge could be a short term solution, albeit a bit blunt.
--
Regards,
Mick