On Sonntag, 6. Januar 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >> Do you have a de-junked .config that I can diff against the
> >> default.. it would be a way to see what kinds of things get dropped.
> >
> > Drivers for stuff you don't need and you will likely never use. Like ham
> > radio stuff, v4linux (first version), I20, on a notebook all the
> > enterprise-grade connect-a-machine-to-storage-stuff like iSCSI and
> > Infiniband, all of ISA and MCA and the pre-pci bus drivers, old disk
> > types like mfm and on modern boards usually even IDE as well.
>
> Thanks... but you hit on something there that can throw you.
>   scsi stuff.

you need scsi for:
sata harddisk
sata cdroms
usb sticks
usb harddrives
usb cdroms (like in an external case)
usb card readers.

In fact, if you enable sata, scsi harddisk support is enabled automatically.

> I've never used a scsi hard drive in my life but not that long ago
> linux users needed scsi support for many of the cdrom drives.

no.
You never needed scsi for 'standard' atapi cdrom drives. Once upon a time you
needed scsi-ide emulation for burning and even that is gone.

> I doubt
> that is still the case but it might be.  But my point is that even
> when you think you know something isn't needed it might be in some
> context you haven't thought of.

well, the scsi-usb relation is explained in the help texts.

> People in this thread speak of 2 and 3 boots and editing in between in
> the same message where `5 minutes' is mentioned.  That doesn't wash.
> You're way past that time frame.  But still not in the guiness book
> realm I guess... hehe.

since the kernel make system is smart, only the stuff that changed is redone.
So 3 reboots+2recompiles are easily done in 5minutes.

> Just to know more on this... Is there really any reason to worry about
> kernel size... I mean in most cases with a standard desktop install?

yes. Bigger kernel = more cpu cache used up = slower system.