> Alan,
> I'll check the links out. As for as unmerging anything else no. Not yet
> anyway, give me time though.

Richard, I recently had that same problem and I notice you are also
using the hardened profile.

I don't remember exactly what I did but it involved re-compiling gcc
and making sure the `harened' use flag was cancelled (USE='-hardened')

I think I did something like boot from the minimal install iso and use
the compiler on it to chroot and compile a gcc without the hardened
flag.

I don't remember now for sure... how I did it, but I am pretty sure
your gcc needs to be recompiled without the `hardened' flag.