It's been much less than a year since I've updated last, however I'm
experiencing problems updating my system. First off, I have Gentoo
2007.0 installed on an AMD64 X2 3800+ (SMP kernel.) I cannot upgrade PAM
from 0.99.8.1-r1 to 0.99.9.0. The output of trying to do so is the
following:

emerge pam
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-libs/pam-0.99.9.0 to /
 * Linux-PAM-0.99.9.0.tar.bz2 RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-)
...             [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-)
...                                      [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-)
...                                     [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-)
...                                    [ ok ]
 * checking Linux-PAM-0.99.9.0.tar.bz2 ;-)
...                            [ ok ]
 *
 * Your current setup is using one or more of the following modules,
 * that are not built or supported anymore:
 * pam_pwdb, pam_radius, pam_timestamp, pam_console
 * If you are in real need for these modules, please contact the maintainers
 * of PAM through http://bugs.gentoo.org/ providing information about its
 * use cases.
 * Please also make sure to read the PAM Upgrade guide at the following URL:
 *   http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml
 *

'emerge --search pam' returns the following (I'm only going to include
the actual listing for pam, and not all the other stuff it lists to keep
the list short)

*  sys-libs/pam
      Latest version available: 0.99.9.0
      Latest version installed: 0.99.8.1-r1
      Size of files: 887 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/
      License:       PAM

I've followed the Linux-PAM upgrade guide, which didn't mention what to
do in the event that those modules were used.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/pam/upgrade-0.99.xml

There is a forum discussion on this matter, however none of the modules
appear in /etc/pam.d/ files...

I don't know enough about PAM and Gentoo to know if running a PAMless
system would cause problems, I have been using linux for a while, but I
am relatively new to Gentoo (and yes, I realize that PAM is not
exclusive to Gentoo...) I've tried the #gentoo channel on FreeNode and
after an hour of asking and waiting, was unable to receive an answer.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks!
Hal Martin