> That's not the split method. Since you chose the
> split packages you need:
> kde-base/kde-meta:kde-4

d'oh!

> Add that version to package.keywords. Stable users
> will need ~arch keywords
> for a few dependencies of KDE 4.

Ok, I ran

#emerge -avD kde-base/kde-meta:kde-4

eight times and everytime I needed to add something to
package.keywords, like so:

>=x11-libs/qt-4.3.3 ~x86
>=app-crypt/gpgme-1.1.6 ~x86
>=dev-util/cmake-2.4.7-r1 ~x86
>=dev-libs/rasqal-0.9.15 ~x86
>=dev-cpp/clucene-0.9.19 ~x86
>=dev-libs/redland-1.0.6 ~x86
>=x11-apps/xinit-1.0.5-r2 ~x86
>=kde-base/kdepasswd-4.0.0:kde-4 ~x86

I notice the entries from the site all end with '* *'
but I've been using '~x86' all this time without any
problem. Is that wrong?

I'm assuming this is correct since portage seemed to
accept them in turn.

Now when I came to last entry emerge kept repeating
itself. I checked, package.keywords was saved after
the last entry

Calculating dependencies /
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy
">=kde-base/kdepasswd-4.0.0:kde-4" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required
to complete your request:
- kde-base/kdepasswd-4.0.0 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Ingmar Vanhassel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (16 Jan 2008)
# Mask KDE 4.0.0 for testing. This release of KDE 4
will not be unmasked.
# KDE 4 guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in
the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "kde-base/kdm-4.0.0" [ebuild])

The above keeps coming up over and over. So, I'll have
to leave it here until I get more info.

-mw