On Friday 25 January 2008 19:45:39 maxim wexler wrote:
> > Which is rather pointless given that the KDE docs
> > provides example
> > package.{keywords,unmask} files...
> >
> > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml
>
> Thanks for this. The link from kde.org goes to a page
> dated Dec 11 2007 which doesn't mention v4.0.

The link on kde.org is to kde.gentoo.org which does have a link to the "KDE
4.0 Guide".

> I did what it said using the recommended(Split)
> method, then this:
>
> localhost heathen # emerge -avD kde-base/kde:kde-4

That's not the split method. Since you chose the split packages you need:
kde-base/kde-meta:kde-4

See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml for further info...

[SNIP]
> Further down the page it suggests I emerge
> kdebase-startkde

Which is for those who want a minimal desktop rather than everything in KDE
(which is what kde-meta is for).

> localhost heathen # emerge -avD
> kde-base/kdebase-startkde

[SNIP]
> - x11-libs/qt-4.3.3 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

Add that version to package.keywords. Stable users will need ~arch keywords
for a few dependencies of KDE 4.

--
Bo Andresen