> modules-update if you have out-of-tree kernel
> modules
>
> env-update follwed by '. /etc/profile/ to avoid the
> hassle of logging
> out and back in just to update the environment
>
> possibly conf-update which does the same thing as
> etc-update, just with
> a much nicer ui that is easier to see what is going
> on

No it was none of those. It was the same format as
that for etc-upate, Bold yellow text followed by
recommended action. And in the line right next to it.
IIRC it would appear at the end of some of the
successful emerges, just not the last one, and there
wasn't enough in the buffer to scroll back for it.

I 'tail'ed  some likely suspects in /var/log/portage
but it didn't show. 'grep'ing emerg.log for "update"
only finds the --update switch.

I'm all askeerd to reboot before finding out what it
was ;(