On Feb 2, 2008 1:01 PM, Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Kevin

> >> And if it still gives you problems, delete /etc/cups then reemerge
> >> cups.  I had to do that last part too.
>
> > The problem is that my printer is on the LPT port (/dev/lp0), and
> > hp-setup does not find it.  In fact it has an option for LPT
> > printers, but it is greyed out.
>
> > The printer is really there: I can print by "cat printme >/dev/lp0"
> > with a suitably formed "printme" file (lines need CR, file ends with
> > ^L^D).
>
> > Hmmm.  Digging slightly deeper, I found the /usr/bin/hp-probe
> > program. It lets me specifically request a probe of LPT, but finds
> > nothing there.  The printer remains attached.  I'm even more deeply
> > stumped than before.
>
> Try: hp-setup -i /dev/parport0
>
> See if that helps.
>
> Try hp-setup -h    for other options.
>
> I take it that your kernel has parallel port support generated, and that
> you have file permission to access /dev/lp0 ?
>
> Cheers, Dave
> --

It runs, but only gives me options for usb and net.  This makes some sense
since there
are no /dev/parport* entries in my system.

Nevertheless, I have parallel port support as I understand it.  From my
kernel (2.6.22-gentoo-r6) .config file:

#
# Generic Driver Options
#
CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
# CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR is not set
# CONFIG_CONNECTOR is not set
# CONFIG_MTD is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT=y                       <<<< parallel port
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y                 <<<< PC style
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set