Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> It runs, but only gives me options for usb and net.  This makes some
> sense since there
> are no /dev/parport* entries in my system.
>
> Nevertheless, I have parallel port support as I understand it.  From
> my kernel (2.6.22-gentoo-r6) .config file:
>
> #
> # Generic Driver Options
> #
> CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m
> # CONFIG_SYS_HYPERVISOR is not set
> # CONFIG_CONNECTOR is not set
> # CONFIG_MTD is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT=y                       <<<< parallel port
> CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y                 <<<< PC style
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
> # CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
> CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
> CONFIG_PNP=y
> # CONFIG_PNP_DEBUG is not set
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

My printer is on my USB port now.  It used to be on parport tho.  Here
is my kernel config, shortened version:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep PARPORT
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL=y
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AX88796 is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
# CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT is not set
# CONFIG_I2C_PARPORT_LIGHT is not set
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

Looks like you have the same two I have.  Mine did used to work anyway.
Not real sure on that one.  You check your USE flags for the HP
package?  Here is mine:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # emerge -pv hplip

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/hplip-2.7.10  USE="X ppds -doc -fax -minimal
-parport -scanner -snmp" 14,104 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 14,104 kB
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

Note the parport option?   Mine is disabled, by default I guess.  You
can add it to the package.use file if yours is disabled too.

Dale

:-)  :-)