Mick wrote:
I am not quite sure how best to setup a local Drupal development server. This is only for developing the websites, which when ready for publishing will be migrated to the hosting server.

Still at the planning stage with all this, I want to keep each website separate. So I was thinking of having separate MySQL users, each with their own MySQL database. Also, I am not sure where to save (physically) each database. Is it prudent to keep them separately under the respective virtual host domainname fs (/var/www/<domainname>), or should I leave these under the default /var/lib/mysql/, or where ever they are normally stored? Haven't looked into tablespaces yet.

For the sake of avoiding a major domestic, I want to make sure that migration to the hosting server will happen without any glitches, or worse having to redesign the website from scratch! What's a clever way of going about this?

Are you going to be running multiple instances of Mysql or just letting each site have it's own db within Mysql? Most of the time people do that later and if that is the case Mysql will store each db in it's own dir under /var/lib/mysql/. I do recommend using a customer prefix for databases. Some thing like acme_drupal, sears_drupal, etc which will make it much simpler to remember what db is for what.

You'll need to work out your release system. I'm not sure what tools drupal offers if any. Have you looked through their docs?

kashani