On Tuesday 12 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:

>but I am still getting WEXT errors.
>Starting wpa_supplicant on wlan0
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not
> supported               [ ok ]
> th param 5 value 0x1 -
>  *   Starting wpa_cli on wlan0
> [ ok ]
>  *     Backgrounding ...

WEXT seems to suggest "wireless extensions" (but I might be wrong of
course). I have the following options enabled in my kernel (some might
be redundant):

CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
CONFIG_CFG80211=y
CONFIG_NL80211=y
CONFIG_MAC80211=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RCSIMPLE=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_VERBOSE_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_WEP=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_CCMP=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_CRYPT_TKIP=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211_SOFTMAC_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_WLAN_80211=y
CONFIG_B43=y
CONFIG_B43_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_B43_DMA=y
CONFIG_B43_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCI_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PCICORE_AUTOSELECT=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_PIO=y
CONFIG_B43LEGACY_DMA_AND_PIO_MODE=y

I'm pretty sure some of them are redundant, but I have not had the time
yet to read about the wireless extensions/*80211 changes and their
implications. However, my card is working correctly with the above
config.

Is the firmware in place (the correct one for your driver)? Post the
relevant sections from /var/log/messages where the wireless card is
recognized and initialized.