On Feb 14, 2008 3:48 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 February 2008, dell core2duo wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >  First of all thank you all.
> >   Finally i  got my wireless card working with b43 drivers. But
> > throughput is really low :-(.
> >[cut]
> > flukebox flukebox # iwconfig
> > lo        no wireless extensions.
> >
> > eth0      no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wmaster0_rename  no wireless extensions.
> >
> > wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"iitk"
> >           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442 GHz  Access Point:
> > 00:11:95:D8:E3:33
> >           Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
> >           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
> >           Encryption key:off
> >           Link Quality=86/100  Signal level=-41 dBm  Noise level=-69
> > dBm Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0 Tx
> > excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> Uhm, the solution might be as simple as doing

> "iwconfig wlan0 rate 54Mfixed".

This command set bit rate to 54Mb but card suddenly stopped working :-(.
So,  I revert back to previous mode. Now i can see variable rates. Network
is working
fine. So, i guess bit rate doesn't make much difference(does it ??).

> However, I just noticed that the linuxwireless page about b43
> has changed since yesterday; there are new instructions regarding the
> versions of firmware and fwcutter tool to use (011), and specific info
> regarding kernel 2.6.24. Check it out:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

I just checked, exactly first option suites my conditions and working fine.

> Tomorrow I too am going to try the new instructions, and read some docs
> to at least try understanding what's going on with the new driver
> architecture (the *80211 stuff).

Good luck for you !