On Friday 15 February 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag, 15. Februar 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > Reiser4 will probably die a quiet death now. Without Hans' vision
> > driving it, it will probably do what it's been doing for 18 months
> > - going nowhere.
>
> that is bullshit. If you have ever followed the ml you would now it.

It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress that
namesys itself might make with their own code.

In a nutshell, Hans tries to swim upstream with the linux kernel devs.
That doesn't work in life, it doesn't work with one's spuse and it
won;t work with Linus and the other devs. Just because code is involved
doesn't mean that normal human interaction doesn't apply

> > And it's highly unlikely that Linus will ever pull it into
> > mainline. The reiser coding style is somewhat ... problematic for
> > kernel devs
>
> the problematic coding style was not a problem for XFS. But hey, one
> of the biggest reiser4 critics is also XFS dev ....

Reiserfs is designed to fit into the linux kernel, it's the whole total
reason for it's existence.

XFS on the other hand, was a pre-existing body of code written by SGI
for Irix. SGI essentially said to lkml "Look, here's this stuff that
works on Irix. We think it's cool and we're willing to let you have it.
Want it?" The kernel devs accepted it knowing full well that the
circumstances were entirely different from say ext2/3 and it had to be
accepted and used under fundamentally different viewpoints from most of
the other stuff in the kernel. Linus was especially sane on this point
and refused to be a pedantic git when he said "Under no theory of
copyright can this ever possibly be considered a derivative work of
Linux".

It's a classic example of the point where geeks need to realize that
humans get involved with stuff like this, and human needs, wants,
desires and feelings will always override strict pedantic rules more
suitable to cpu code execution.

We geeks are very fond of saying that we will accept kernel code based
purely on it's merits as code. That frankly, is bullshit. We are LESS
susceptible to this than most other occupations but the human element
is always present and still has to be accounted for and confronted.

Want another example? Jeorg Schilling. The man writes excellent code,
but he's an infuriating git that no-one can work with. The hassle of
putting up with him is less than the hassle of simply forking his last
code where the license is uncontested. Guess which happened.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com