On Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008, James wrote:

> > > It's been languishing in -mm for ages, never mind any progress that
> > > namesys itself might make with their own code.
>
> Well, I'm no Reiser expert, but a few days ago I was reading at kernel
> newbies and following some links about the future of the linux kernel, when
> I stumbled across something that really makes sense concerning why many
> influential kernel devs do not  like (trust) reiser4fs:
>
> That is the style allows for 'loadable' modules (er the nomenclature is
> plugin) and the resulting fear that if reiser4 is 'blessed' and included
> into the linux kernel, then those with advanced knowledge could write very
> specific modules (of the commercial kind) for niche feature that just plug
> into reiser4fs.

the 'modules' are a) compile time addons and b) have to be activated at mkfs.

But hey, if modules are bad, why not remove it as a feature?

> So Hans and others could develop very cool features that 'plugin' to
> reiser4fs, but, if they choose, folks would have to *PAY* for these
> advanced features. That's the whole rub (in essence) as to why reiser4fs
> will never make it into the kernel. Lots of kernel folks  *do not trust
> Hans Reiser*.......

that accusations came up. I remember. But what about the extremly patched
Distro kernels? They 'enhance' the kernels with 'special features' and demand
money for them (yes, I look at you Redhat and Suse).