Here's my progress so far:

I installed the 2.6.23-tuxonice-r10 kernel, ati-drivers-8.40.4,
hibernate-script-1.97-r4, and radeontool-1.5-r3. After this hibernate to
disk started working but only from the console with xdm shut off. The
logs showed an "extra_pages_allowance is currently only 500" message.

I then added `ProcSetting extra_pages_allowances 7500` to suspend2.conf
after reading some of the links you mentioned, and now hibernate to disk
works and resumes within X, and also using "Hibernate" button in Gnome's
shutdown menu. Thanks!!

Suspend to ram works but does not resume as before. The laptop seems to
be on, but there's a blank screen, and I can't ping the machine. I get
the same results from the virtual console as well.

The logs after attempting a suspend to ram are at
http://buraaq.org/~yahya/suspend/hibernate.log
My /etc/hibernate directory is at
http://buraaq.org/~yahya/suspend/hibernate/

I'll try different versions of ati-drivers soon and report results,
until then any other suggestions are most welcome!

Best regards,
Yahya