Hey, I actually had the same problem as the original poster. I have the Dell
Inspiron 6000 as well. I had the ati 8.40.4 driver and I recently upgraded
my kernel from linux-2.6.21-suspend2-r7 to various versions of
linux-2.6.23-tuxonice sources just to try to get it to suspend to ram
properly. Suspend to ram would suspend, but would fail to resume within
Gnome.

There seems to be a problem with the ati 8.40.4 drivers with the newest
linux-2.6.23 and .24 tuxonice-sources, because I have tried almost every
single combination to try to get suspend to ram working correctly.

What I did to solve this was to emerge the newest ati-drivers, which as of
today is 8.455.2-r1. I also installed radeontool and vbetool. I made the
changes in my common.conf and also in my ram.conf in /etc/hibernate to
enable vbetool and radeontool. If you need these files, I'll gladly post
them up.

With the linux-2.6.21-suspend2-r7 kernel, I did not have to use any of those
tools to help me resume but with the linux-2.6.23-tuxonice-sources I did.
I'm currently running linux-2.6.23-tuxonice-r10.