Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Saturday 01 March 2008, Mike Mazur wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Situation: There's a LAN with a Netgear ADSL router... heterogenous
OS, including Gentoo, are installed on various PCs on the LAN.

 I'd like to know what communicating IPs are consuming most
bandwidth, and to quantify how much bandwidth they are using...
Ideally, I'd like to see a real-time list of the main bandwidth
consuming communicators...
So you want to monitor the traffic going through your router?

I imagine that would be difficult to do from one of the endpoints in
your LAN (your Gentoo box). The switch should only route to your
machine traffic destined for it, so how to measure the bandwidth the
other machines are consuming between themselves and the outside
world?

If there is a way to do this I'd be very interested :)

Sometimes the router has an accounting feature. Otherwise you need to make a Linux box the gateway for the entire LAN and hang the ADSL router off one of it's interfaces. Then do accounting via any one of numerous tools
I concur with the above poster and use a FreeBSD machine as my gateway. There is a tool called 'trafshow' I use for quick real time traffic analysis which might be useful for you. I found it in portage:

net-analyzer/trafshow

Cheers,

Drew

--