On 1 Mar 2008, at 20:56, Alan McKinnon wrote:
There's one other way that I just remembered (for future reference). You
don't *have* to use a linux machine as a gateway if you have a decent
managed switch - set it to route all traffic on all ports out through
the port that a monitoring machine is connected to. In other words,
that one part acts like a hub. Now that the monitoring machine can see
every bit on the entire Ethernet, it can count 'em :-)

However, these switches cost a fortune and I very much doubt that the
el-cheapo ADSL routers on the market have this feature. Both of mine
certainly don't.

FYI: these are actually really cheap secondhand on eBay, if you're happy with 10/100, or 10/100 with 2 x gigabit ports.

Stroller.