Hello Mark,

I was under the impression that packages with the ~amd64 (or ~x86) keywords are
in testing, but no serious instabilities had been found, or they would be hard
masked.

I have had non-testing packages break my system before, as well.  What
generally happens is the the environment variables become messed up, or the
service dependencies do - either way, I can't use emerge or any of the
available utilities to fix the problem, or even find out what it does.

About a year ago, I went to a testing system and haven't had any problems,
except when I re-install Gentoo.  I guess it is always a choice - either go
with the "stable" version of a distribution or you go with the testing version
(some people really push the envelope and go for the unstable version).

I read up on the keywords, and found out that having the ~mad64 keyword on a
package just means that it hasn't been adequately tested on that architecture.
That's how people like me help move things along - by testing those packages on
our systems, and reporting any problems we find.

Regards,
Chris