On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:50:57 +0800, Shaochun Wang wrote:

> It seems that there is no cache in the portage overlays, so update-eix
> can't get the package information in these overlay.

That's normal. eix still gets the information, by reading the filesystem.
The cache is simply a way of speeding u this process for large trees.

> What can I do to get the local overlay picked by eix?

It should already, if you search for a package that has an ebuild in the
overlay, it should display it, along with the name of the overlay.

% eix openchrome
* x11-drivers/xf86-video-openchrome [1]
     Available versions:  0.2.901 {dri}

[1] "digimed" /mnt/portage/local