>       Installed packages with a version not in the database (or masked):
>
>       [I] app-misc/beagle ([EMAIL PROTECTED]/27/08)
                                   ^
This is your problem: eix is not able to detect from which repository
this version was installed. The reason is that you have not given your
overlay a name.

Some time ago, eix was able to guess the repository by means of the
information in /var/db/*/*/environment.bz2, but new portage versions
do not store that information in this file anymore.

The clean solution of your problem is to give your overlay a name
(i.e. to create a "profile" subdirectory in your overlay and store
your name in a new file "profile/repo_name") and then to reemerge
all packages from the overlay so that the name is also stored in
the /var/db database. (Instead of reemerging you can also hack
the database manually and create the files /var/db/*/*/repository
with the corresponding overlay name in it; however, I give no
guarantee that this will not have unexpected side effects...).

If you want that eix-test-obsolete just ignores the repository
(i.e. that 0.3.3[?] is "found" in the database even if the version
in the database is from a possibly different overlay), set
   NONEXISTENT_IF_OTHER_OVERLAY='false'
in /etc/eixrc. However, I would not recommend this.

The output of update-eix is as expected:

>       [3] "" /usr/local/portage (cache: none)
This is empty, because you have not       ^^^^
named your overlay yet                    ^^^^
                                          ^^^^
                    This means that the cache method "none" is used
                    (man eix for details) which is the default for
                    overlays unless you set something special.[*]

[*] With eix-0.12.0 the default has changed to a new cache method
    which appears superior (but has some security risks).
    The previous cache method "none" was renamed.