Norman Rieß <norman <at> smash-net.org> writes:

> > It is a pity.  When did AMD's overall advantage disappear?

> With the arrival of the Core CPU's.

When/if AMD is able to complete their new architecture, integrating
video processors with 64 bit processors they might become competitive
on a cost/performance basis. Certainly with AMD open sourcing new video
driver development, they still have a v very strong appeal to open sources
users. HIGH end technical clusters and the processors they use are different
needs than the average small business or consumer, which needs robust support
for open source video and applications.

If everyone runs to Intel, we'll all be *very sorry* in a few years.......

The ultimate questions is do you really make a purchase decision base strictly
on extreme benchmark results, or do you stand by your vendor, as they regroup
and keep things competitive? Remember Intel has been just as evil as Redmond
particular in matters related to DeCSS and video on computer issues, IMHO.

AMD is my soul_mate....(particularly since they are open sourcing new
ATI video drivers...)

James