>  > >  > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
>  > >  > feet and has to go through about 5 walls.  I bought two of these:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
>  > >  >
>  > >  > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
>  > >  > work well.  I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
>  > >  > time, but then disappear.  When watching iwconfig during this process,
>  > >  > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
>  > >  > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Should limiting the rate solve this problem?  If so, how can I do
>  > >  > that?  I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > - Grant
>  > >
>  > >  Grant,
>  > >
>  > >  Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly.  The lower
>  > > rates use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms
>  > > better connects over long hauls.
>  > >
>  > >  The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
>  > >  heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
>  > >  models:   ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
>  > >  http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
>  > >  have,  will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
>  > >  speed scale doing it too.
>  >
>  > I'm using a Netgear PCI adapter on the AP and an Edimax USB adapter on
>  > the client.  Do you know how I can limit the rate?  Should it be done
>  > on the Gentoo AP or the client?
>  >
>  > - Grant
>
>  I use wireless-tools from portage. In it is iwconfig. A simple man iwconfig
>  will show you what you need. Other thing you could do is configure the
>  Wireless AP for a fixed rate... works for me.

I found this:

rate_wlan0=( "5.5M" )

which isn't documented in net.wireless, but it doesn't seem to have
any affect.  I've tried it on the router and the client which uses
wpa_supplicant.  I still see the rate on the client fluctuate all the
way up to 54 Mb/s in the output from iwconfig.  The router's rate is
always reported as 0 kb/s.

- Grant