ยท Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 schrieb ext Michael Schmarck:
>> Dirk Heinrichs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> > You're not? I thought that's the purpose of the whole thing?
>>
>> It's more like pulling the plug, isn't it? At least none of
>> the shutdown scripts is run.  And if you don't run ALT + SysRq + U,
>> or if it just doesn't work (like hangs at some (remote) fs),
>
> But nobody proposed _not_ to run ALT + SysRq + U,

True, but if things come to worse, you've got to do a ALT+SysRq+B
or +O, even before +U completely returned. As said, it can happen,
that U(nmount) doesn't work - and then you'd need to shutdown
anyway.

> Neil even proposed ALT +
> SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and unmounted.

Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).

>> filesystems aren't even unmounted and thus dirty and thus need
>> a fsck run on next boot.
>
> XFS to the rescue :-)

Yep. Well, to be honest, I haven't had a fs die on me, because
of a Alt+SysRq+B.

Michael Schmarck
--
Inspiration without perspiration is usually sterile.