Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:40:37 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
>
>> > Neil even proposed ALT +
>> > SysRq + EISUB, to be sure everything is killed, sync'd and
>> > unmounted.
>>
>> Which might or might not work. But note that I was also talking
>> about applications being in a corrupted state (the database example).
>
> E sends a SIGTERM to all applications. Any well behaved application
> should shut down cleanly on this.

No doubt :) But if the app hangs, it might not respond to TERM.

> I sends a SIGKILL, but it only affects
> programs that were so locked up they ignored E, so you have nothing to
> lose by then.

Correct.

But nonetheless, there's still the risk that the KILL has
destroyed the application database (sort of - more correctly:
that the application and its database was in a "non consistent"
state when it received the signal).

Michael