Maybe he does have multiple versions installed of those packages. What is the output of for example:
emerge -avP gcc
?
KH

Alan McKinnon wrote:
On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:39:11 +0200, Michael Schmarck wrote:
emerge --depclean
thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
lot.
If you've removed kde-meta, I'm not surprised.
It's not (mainly) kde packages that show up there. It's:

I'm surprised these show up from --depclean:

 app-admin/logrotate
 app-arch/sharutils
 app-crypt/hashalot
 app-crypt/mhash
 app-text/psutils
 dev-libs/glib
 dev-libs/lzo
 dev-libs/pcre++
 dev-util/yacc

After last week's entertainment, why are these not in your world?
 media-libs/gstreamer
 media-libs/libgpod
 media-libs/libmp4v2
 media-libs/libmpeg3
 media-libs/libquicktime
 media-libs/libsamplerate
 media-libs/libsndfile
 media-libs/libsvg
 media-libs/libwmf
 media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa
 media-plugins/gst-plugins-esd
 media-plugins/gst-plugins-flac
 media-plugins/gst-plugins-theora

Hmm, more stuff that should be in world if you want it.
 net-wireless/wireless-tools
 sys-apps/acl
 sys-apps/iproute2
 sys-devel/automake
 sys-devel/bin86
 sys-devel/dev86

Ouch!! What did you do to this box that this one shows up? gcc is not in world, it's in system, and the only way to get it out of there is to edit the profile
 sys-devel/gcc

I think you need to fix your world before before doing any --depclean steps.