Anthony Metcalf wrote:
Dale wrote:

It's been a while but make sure you have switched to the new gcc and it is working fine before removing the old one. Nothing worse than removing gcc then finding out the new one isn't . . . functional. Sort of fun to fix.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Tell me about it!

Hint: Don't then unpack a stage 3 tarball in / to get a working gcc back......

True. That would work but I would be doing a fresh install. I suspect there would be a few orphaned files around after that. Still best to 'test the waters' before diving in on such a critical package. I don't usually remove mine until all my packages have been rebuilt, just to make sure.

Dale