At Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:16:54 +0200,
Florian Philipp wrote:
> I personally use dar and gpg. Dar can be used to make incremental
> backups which should partly solve your speed problem. Alternatively you
> could use tar and gpg or cpio or whatever floats your boat.

Duplicity also does incremental backups, but it's still slow. Using
dar, would I have to "manually" (or per script) use gpg to encrypt the archives?

> The alternative would be an encrypted filesystem and rdiff-backup or
> rsync. Optionally you could safe the key to the filesystem on your home
> partition or, if it doesn't need to be automated, in a gpg-encrypted
> file.

An encryted filesystem and rdiff-backup or similar was another option
I though of. The problem is restoration: Would I easily be able to
restore the backups from a freshly installed system?

Regards,
Jan