on Friday 04/18/2008 Neil Bothwick([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote
 > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:34:49 +0200, Remy Blank wrote:
 >
 > > There are at least two drawbacks to using rsync for mirroring the local
 > > backup to a remote host:
 > >
 > >   - If your local backup becomes corrupt, then so does your remote
 > > backup, except if you are quick enough to disable the rsync step.
 >
 > That's a potential problem with any form of backup, local or remote. The
 > truly paranoid would use two different backup methods on two physically
 > separate destinations.
 >
 > >   - If you have disconnection during the rsync step (happened to me
 > > last night), your remote backup is temporarily corrupted.
 >
 > That should be fixable by having the script that runs rsync check the
 > return value and try again if it fails.

Would not these problems be solved by something like rdiff-backup
which I have been using for a short time.  Its not encrypted, however
and I am not sure what happened to the developer, but it does seem to
work.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici