On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:01:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Unless someone comes up with some addition info on things I should do
> to clean this up more completely I figure I got a little bit of
> education which is cool.

There was a post to this list explaining this not long ago. AFAIR, the
MERGING entries in /var/db/pkg are created while emerge is copying the
files from the temporary build location to the live filesystem. If they
are still there, it means that the merge was aborted, perhaps by a crash
or flat battery, at a potentially critical point. While it should be safe
to remove these, you should re-emerge the package to make sure your
installation is consistent.

--
Neil Bothwick

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.