On Sat, May 10, 2008 3:58 pm, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> forgottenwizard wrote:
> Realtime Linux Anti-Trojan signature scanning overhead is simply cheap
> (almost free) insurance IMHO, and may be most important when compiling
> and installing new or updated sourcecode. Or installing a new plugin to
> your browser; or opening a media file.
>
> But I sure acknowledge the majority opinion - almost ALL Linux users,
> and many Windows users as well, choose not to run real-time
> AntiMalware scanners.

Actually, they are not "cheap" and certainly are not "almost free". Real
time scanning is a nice way to bring even high-spec systems to their
knees.

The reality is that an intelligent user doesn't really need the services
they offer, and certainly doesn't need it at the performance cost it
carries.

I expect my operating system to be sufficiently secure (Linux is) that
such threats are minimal, if I'm buying high-spec hardware, I want to be
the one using it, not some silly real-time-scanner package.

And yes, it is possible to lockdown Windows as tightly as a Linux box, you
just need to know what you are doing.

RobbieAB

--
<RobbieAB> Actually, I kinda like the thought of useing CGI to do my
project in Fortran