On Wednesday 25 June 2008, Yoav Luft wrote:
> Hi,
> I posted a similar e-mail a couple of weeks ago and got no
> response. I wish not to spam the mailing list, only for maybe a
> better luck this time. My CD ROM drive had stopped playing audio
> CD's. It still works fine, data CD's work alright and various
> programs manage to gather useful information about the audio CD's
> tracks, but I hear nothing. I checked all controls in alsamixer to
> be unmuted and at reasonable volume, but it's not it. I can't rip
> the CD's neither. Any ideas what might be wrong?

This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
couple of cents. Some do that. :-(

Uwe

--
Ignorance killed the cat, sir, curiosity was framed!