on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote
 > John covici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >
 > >  > This looks like the two-wire cable between the CD ROM and your
 > >  > soundcard is missing or loose. I'd check this first. If this is a
 > >  > laptop, it might well be that the connection between the two
 > >  > subsystems was left out intentionally by the manufacturer to save a
 > >  > couple of cents. Some do that. :-(
 > >  >

 > > I am having the same problem -- but additionally my CDROM  has no
 > > place to even put such a cable -- at least according to the person who
 > > actually put the machine together.
 > > I have not opened up the box to check, but if so, what can I do to
 > > play cds?
 >
 > It is most inlikely that thius is related to this cable....
 >
 > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
 > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
 >
 > and install cdda2wav suid root.
 >
 > Then call:
 >
 > cdda2wav -e -N -B
 >
 > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
 > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the problem.
 >
 > Jörg

OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
file or is it playing from the drive?  I have cdcd and it thinks its
playing, bu I hear nothing.  Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.

Thanks much.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici