On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 16:24:52 +0200
Alan McKinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 July 2008, Florian Philipp wrote:
> > > You want to set the setgid bit on the containing directory and
> > > chgrp that directory to the group involved.
> >
> > Argh, of course!
> > I even read this stuff up this morning but I overlooked the
> > paragraph!
>
> In all likely-hood you will want to set the write bit for groups on
> as well (for the setup to be truly useful as a group share). For that
> you will need posix acls, there's no way to do it with just
> permissions and defaults.

I've just set the umask 0007 in /etc/profile. With the rule that
every user has his own primary group (as it is default), this is
sufficient for my needs.

I haven't tested every application but at least konqueror seems to
respect this setting.

If I can avoid the usage of acls with a few global settings, I'm
willing to do so. The prospect of having two levels of filesystem
permissions, each only visible with different, dedicated tools, cause me
headaches. ;)