Mick wrote:
On Sunday 20 July 2008, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
The labels are part of the file system; they're always there.  For
example, when booting the 2007.0 LiveDVD (which uses the legacy drivers,
meaning /dev/hd* instead of /dev/sd*) the labels are there and I can
mount /dev/disk/by-label/GentooRoot just fine.

Yes, labels . . . been thinking of doing this for the last two years! I guess I will have to use reiserfstune for my reiserfs partitions. What about xfs - will xfsprogs do it?

The xfs_admin is used to change the label of XFS partitions: http://linux.die.net/man/8/xfs_admin

Thanks for the tip. The thing with the conventional device numbering system is that you know which one is first, which second, etc. With Labels I'll have to add something to it to remind myself that this is the first partition, etc. Can I have blank spaces in the Label name?

I don't think spaces are allowed. But you can use underscores or capitalization. Anyway, you don't need to add something to remind you of the partition's position; /etc/mtab will use regular device names, so you can see what's going on with 'cat /etc/mtab' or simply 'mount' without parameters. On my system, even though I use labels, I get this with 'mount':

  /dev/sdc1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda1 on /windows/C type fuseblk (rw,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)