On 31 Jul 2008, at 15:12, Simon wrote:

Yes, your words about "dependency" and "flexibility" are valid, but this is also the most straightforward way to sync multiple machines at once. If you do need to emerge a package when the laptop is away from home then just --sync and it builds a portage tree at the "missing mountpoint" (if that makes sense).

I'll consider that, but seriously, I've tried many ways, including rsyncd, to sync portage on my computers and I've settled for unison. Really, I like it for its simplicity of use and maintenance and the fact that my host only has the ssh port open. Sync'ing portage is not a problem, i'll explore different ways along the way. Dont try to convince me of other ways, this one is working (and I don't mind whatever downsides).

Great! I'm glad you're happy with this. You're NFS exporting a sub- directory of /usr/portage, then, in order to share the built packages?

As said, no. I'm using a separate copy on each host, which is sync'ed manually between those hosts. It may sound awful, but it actually syncs my /home directory, as well as my /root dir (where I keep important system stuff, like dev drivers source).

No, that's fine. Whatever works for you. Basically, as you say, you want to keep it as transparent, seamless & automated as possible. Whatever does the trick.

I would perhaps do some more investigation & start a new thread about distcc problems.

Stroller.