On Friday 15 August 2008, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 08:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > >
> > > You could use the very long way round, something based on this:
> > >
> > > find /etc/ -type f -exec equery belongs {} \;
> > >
> > > then leave it alone for an hour or three
> >
> > Hmmmm, I had to stop that after a few minutes.  It sort of took
> > away from my folding.  Pushed my CPU to about 80% or so.
> >
> > There has to be a tool for this too.  Gentoo has about everything
> > else.
>
> I do a similar thing every month as a cron job.  It' runs at night so
> I just get an email the next day.
>
> --
> #!/bin/bash
>
> # Print out orphan files in specified directories
>
> find /etc -xdev -type f -print|xargs qfile -o
> find /usr -xdev \( -path /usr/src -prune \) -o -type f -not -name
> '*.pyc' \
>     -not -name '*.pyo' -not -name .keep  -print | \
>     xargs qfile -o
> find /lib -xdev \( -path /lib/modules -prune \) -o -type f |xargs
> qfile -o

It doesn't handle filenames with spaces, I tried with

find /etc -xdev -type f -exec qfile -o {} \;

that works with spaces, but has awful performances, so that's completely
unusable on /usr.

BTW I also tried to remove false positive hiding /usr/portage and the
overlays folder .

Does anyone know how to deal with spaces (to avoid false positives) and
keep reasonable running times?

TIA
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.26-gentoo, Compiled #2 PREEMPT Sat Aug 9 20:21:11 CEST
2008