On Sunday 14 September 2008 23:38:08 Michael Sullivan wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 23:35 +0200, Pintér Tibor wrote:
> > Michael Sullivan írta:
> > > I think this is the same problem that wouldn't let me use su -.
> > >
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ passwd
> > > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> > >
> > > I'd like to change my password, but I can't.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > readonly filesystem?
> > missing suid?

> And how would I check for/fix that?

the passwd program is installed in /bin, so run 'mount' and check the options
it displays for the filesystem mounted at '/' and will look like this:

/dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail)

You too should have 'rw' in the brackets

suid: this is not a program, it is an attribute that you can set for a program
file. I can see from your general comments that you are new to this game, so
I won't try just yet to explain what suid means. Just
run 'ls -al /usr/bin/passwd' and check that the first column looks like mine:

-rws--x--x 1 root root 38464 Aug  4 02:42 /bin/passwd

The 's' is vital, passwd will not work without it.

In another post you mentioned getresuid(). Pretend you never saw this - it is
a system call used by programmers when writing code. A user will never use
it. You already have the ability to make programs suid - it's built into the
kernel and the user programs that switch it on and off are part of a package
called coreutils. I 100% guarantee that it is installed on your machine.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com