On 2008-09-11, Dennis Lee Bieber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:36:36 -0500, Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>> Wrong.  I didn't send _any_ e-mail.  Why should I get bounce
>> messages?
>>
>       One: Comp.lang.python is dual-routed with a mailing list; anything
> you post to either CLP or the mailing list gets cross-posted to the
> other -- the FROM header retains that of the original author (which
> could be you).
>
>       Two: Somebody else is subscribed to the mailing list, and sets up an
> "out-of-office" reply or has other problems (like an overfilled mailbox,
> causing a bounce, or a discontinued account) when the forwarded post
> reaches their address.
>
>       Three: The bounce/ooo-reply is sent to the message author, not to
> any intermediate host(s). After all, on that end, it's normal email
> failure response -- notify the author of the messag
> file. I can see from your general comments that you are new to this game, so
> I won't try just yet to explain what suid means. Just
> run 'ls -al /usr/bin/passwd' and check that the first column looks like mine:
>
> -rws--x--x 1 root root 38464 Aug  4 02:42 /bin/passwd
>
> The 's' is vital, passwd will not work without it.
>
> In another post you mentioned getresuid(). Pretend you never saw this - it is
> a system call used by programmers when writing code. A user will never use
> it. You already have the ability to make programs suid - it's built into the
> kernel and the user programs that switch it on and off are part of a package
> called coreutils. I 100% guarantee that it is installed on your machine.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ sudo mount
Password:
/dev/hdc on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs
(rw,noexec,nosuid,devmode=0664,devgid=85)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfs type nfsd (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ls -al /usr/bin/passwd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 May 16 14:08 /usr/bin/passwd -> /bin/passwd
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ ls -l /bin/passwd
-rws--x--x 1 root root 28712 May 16 14:08 /bin/passwd