Erik Hahn schrieb am 06.10.2008 20:21:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:27:11PM +0200, Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
>> 2008/10/6 Erik Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> No, it simply shouldn't change them, there's no reason to do that (to my
>>> knowledge).
>> I think it is a big security issue if a normal user could start
>> arbitrary daemons with root privileges. So you should file a bug at
>
> It doesn't give anyone root privileges, it only sets wrong variables.
>
>> I think only root should be able to execute start-stop-daemon and the
>> user should be changed with the proper command line switches. I
>> actually don't know if it is --chuid or --user as this has changed
>> between old baselayout and new openrc.
>
> Why's that? Running a program with user privileges is no security
> problem at all.

I got the intention the program is started with root privileges when
using start-stop-daemon.

Nevertheless I can reproduce your problem with the wrong variables. I
think it should set the variables appropriate for the user running
start-stop-daemon. So you should file a bug report about that.

Regards,

Daniel