On Thursday 09 October 2008 20:37:37 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb am 09.10.2008 20:25:
> > thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
> >
> > Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
> > for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?
>
> Does the nvidia-driver really need the kernel for which it will be
> compiled running?

No.

Drivers are compiled for the current *configured* kernel.

The running kernel is utterly and completely irrelevant. The compiler wants
linux-headers, a configured set of kernel sources and other bits. Running
kernel does not feature in this.

The *configured* kernel is defined by whatever /usr/src/linux is pointing to.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com