Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008 schrieb Erik Hahn:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:08:57AM +0200, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Since I'm using the box as desktop, I have only a frozen X-server and
> > no possibility to switch to console (maybe there's some hint whats
> > happened?).
> >
> > How do I find out what happened, why it crashed? Modern systems have
> > MCE-logs, but how do I read it in this case? After reboot, all
> > information seems to be gone since mcelog is always empty.
> >     Alex
>
> If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
> console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can reproduce
> the problem working without X (If you can do your work purely from the
> VTs)

I've tried, but unfortunately, the X-Driver on my laptop (i965) does also
seem to have stability problems, after ca an hour it froze using 100%
cpu-time, unable to kill (nither kill or kill -9 did work). I guess it
didn't wakeup from DPMS :-(

> Do you use any proprietary drivers?

On the desktop I have nvidia-card with prop. driver.

        Alex