On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:29:31 +0200
Erik Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 07:14:08PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >  The login manager slim, which is started in daemon mode,
> >  get killed when X is left by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> >  (zapping X) -- there is a fallback to the login of the
> >  root console instead of getting a new login screen of slim.
>
> Is this actually a bug or intended behaviour? If it's a bug, is there
> a version that works properly?

It's supposed to do this. GDM, and I think KDM, both respawn after being
killed, but IMHO this isn't a good thing. If you kill something, you
don't want it coming back to life by itself. If there's a problem
somewhere in your X server and the disply manager constantly dies and
tries to restart, that can get annoying. It's not in slim because it
shouldn't really be default behaviour. Might not be bad to provide an
conf file option for this behavior, though.

--
I try to uphold the ideals that I was taught to value as an American,
but every year I get less and less help from the United States.