On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I prefer emerge -1pv udev
>> <look at output>
>> emerge -1 udev
>
> Which means you have to wait for the dependency resolver to run twice.
> Which is why it's better to use
>
> emerge -1av udev
> look at output
> press enter
I don't like package managers which require interactivity.
emerge -uvDp world | less is easier to parse then emerge -upDa world.
Why? Because I don't have to find a way of transferring <return> if
less handles all of the keyboard input.
So I prefer two stages:
1) pretend merge  - single verbosity - and look at output
2) actual merge - normal / quiet - and pipe to tee

--
Andrey Vul

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?